When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world. — Fred Rogers
The following materials may be of some assistance to you to help you and your children cope with the tragic events in Newtown, Connecticut. Please feel free to share this link with others who may need help dealing with these events.
- How to Talk to Your Children About the Connecticut Tragedy (nurturingparentsandteachers.com)
- Talking to Children about Death (hospicenet.org)
- Talking To Your Children About Violence Against Kids (University of Minnesota)
- American Academy of Pediatrics – Resources to Help Parents, Children and Others Cope in the Aftermath of School Shootings (healthychildren.org)
- Explaining the News to Our Kids (Common Sense Media)
- Talking with Kids About News: Strategies for Talking and Listening (pbs.org)
- Crisis and School Safety (National Association of School Psychologists)
- Talking to Children About Tragic Events (Massachusetts Children’s Trust Fund /One Tough Job)
- Talking to Your Children About the Recent Spate of School Shootings (American Psychological Association)
- Helping Your Children Manage Distress in the Aftermath of a Shooting (American Psychological Association)
- When Children Experience Trauma: A Guide for Parents and Families (Act Against Violence /American Psychological Association)
- Tips for Talking to Children and Youth After Traumatic Events: A Guide for Parents and Educators (samhsa.gov)
- Age Related Reactions to a Traumatic Event (The National Child Traumatic Stress Network)
- Helping Children Cope With A National Tragedy: Guidelines for Educators and Parents (University Behavioral Healthcare)
- Guidelines for “Helping Children Deal with News Violence” (Diane Levin, Ph.D., Wheelock College)
This resource list is updated continuously so please check back soon.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.